Re: Hi and computer issue (fwd)

See replies below...

 > From: http://www.aol.com/~nkoppel836
 > Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:03:18 -0400
 >
 > Robert,
 >
 > Hi and thanks for the suggestions. I thought Diskwarrior was a service,
 > didn't realize it was a product.
 >
 > Here's my issue in a nutshell:
 > I took my Ibook (3 yrs old) to an Apple store and was told that the
 > hard drive is bad. I was about to give it to them to send off for
 > repairs when I realized that I would lose everything I had saved. The
 > tech said that I should buy a separate hard drive to transfer my data
 > to. Since the hard drive has crashed, I am unable to access my data the
 > normal way. The tech showed me how to place the laptop in "Target mode"
 > and hook it up to another Mac to see my files. She said I can hook up
 > to any fairly new Mac to do this after purchasing the hard drive. Then,
 > she said, I can transfer the data to the hard drive. I'm going to read
 > the Apple Discussion groups on this subject to learn more about how to
 > do this in Target mode. The only other Mac I have (Ed has an old PC) is
 > about 10 years old and would not be acceptable for the data transfer.
 >
 > Ed is about to purchase a new PC because his old one no longer works
 > with DSL. We, of course, need to transfer the data onto a hard drive as
 > well before he gets a new PC.
 >
 > Will we need to purchase 2 separate hard drives, one for the PC and one
 > for the Mac?

Well, you will likely need 2 hard drives....  unless, you buy one of those
magic USB-to-IDE magic thingies.  I bought one (I haven't tried it out
yet) for the sad day when my laptop hard drive dies.  I bought it at
Fry's (you should be able to ask for a "USB-to-IDE connector or adapter").
I'm not sure if it works with a Mac, but I don't see why it shouldn't.  In
that case, you would need 4 things:

1) Your old Mac (obviously).
2) Another Mac which is booted into "target" mode (I guess -- I've never
done this myself).
3) One of these USB-to-IDE adapters (which you'll plug into #2 Mac).
4) A new hard drive to replace #1's hard drive.

 > That is what the Tech suggested at Apple Store. His PC
 > still works well enough to just hook it up to the hard drive and
 > transfer the data.
 >
 > Do you have any experience or knowledge regarding the issue with the
 > Mac and transferring the data to a hard drive in Target mode?

No.  But, like I said, I backed-up a lot of Noelle's computer onto a 100GB
IOMega external hard drive that I had and it worked fine.

 > I assume
 > reading the Apple discussion group info should be helpful to me.

It always is.  But, you could also call MacService and see if they'll do
the whole transfer-and-replace thing for a reasonable price.  In fact,
even with my experience, if I were in your situation, I would try this
first.

 > Nancy

Why do you want this page removed?