Re: Fw: from Gail re: LinkedIn questions re: Recommendations

LinkedIn

Robert has sent you a message.

Date: 2/21/2012

Subject: Re: Fw: from Gail re: LinkedIn questions re: Recommendations

> From: Noelle <http://dummy.us.eu.org/noelleg>
> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:58:36 -0800 (PST)
>
> From: "Gail" <http://www.cox.net/~g3>
> To: "Noelle" <http://dummy.us.eu.org/noelleg>
> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:04:57 -0800
>
> Hi Noelle,
>
> I tried sending this email to Robert today, but I guess his email
> address has changed, and we haven't been notified of the new email
> address yet.

I have had the same email address for 20 years. And expect to have it 'til I die.

In any case, it's better, with all job search-related matters, including LinkedIn, to use LinkedIn for communicating with me.

> Would you please make sure he gets this as soon as possible
> so that he can reply to me in a way that is easy for me to understand as
> well as give us his new email address.
>
> Thanks,
> Gail

> From: "Gail" <http://www.cox.net/~g3>

The acm.org address is my personal one. It will exist regardless of what company I work for.

I continue to be employed by Macrosoft. I will be employed by Macrosoft until they successfully transfer all their relevant assets to their new company.

> I recently updated my resume including on LinkedIn to reflect the
> recent temporary job I had. I am trying to figure out how on LinkedIn
> I can get a Recommendation (that is an excellent one) that has
> nothing to do with any of my employment listed but rather comes from
> volunteer work I did on personnel and finance committees in 2011 for
> the Church I belong to.

As far as I know, there is no way to get a "personal" recommendation on LinkedIn -- it all has to be associated with a position that you held or work that you did. So, you'd need to list the church on your LinkedIn profile and then ask for a recommendation through that.

> Due to any possible discrimination, I don't
> want to mention the Church's name nor mention it was at a
> church. LinkedIn wouldn't allow me not to put the name of the
> organization which I wanted to leave blank.

Correct. There is no current way to do this with LinkedIn. You'll have to do it externally through another source. (Perhaps Zerply supports it -- I don't know.)

> I already have a
> recommendation some time ago from a former SCORE client that resides
> in my hidden recommendations, but I forget how I went about getting
> that into LinkedIn.

You can do that only because you must have SCORE listed somewhere on your LinkedIn profile. Recommendations are only associated with work that you have done at specifically named organizations, companies, and roles.

> Can you please help me with this ASAP as I would like to get this
> done before we leave for our week's ski trip at N. Lake Tahoe on
> early Sat. AM 2/25 with the SB Ski and Sports Club. We are driving
> there meeting my oldest daughter ( Kim) and my 14 yr. old grandson
> (Spencer) in Stockton where my granddaughter goes to college. Kim and
> Spencer are joining us on this ski trip which will be the first time
> I have skiied with Kim since we lived in Germany when she was 5
> yr. old, so should be a lot of fun. If I can't get this
> Recommendation into LinkedIn, I will ask that reference to just write
> me a Letter of Reference that I can use if necessary when job
> hunting, but I would prefer to have it in LinkedIn if at all
> possible.

Again, I don't think this is possible with LinkedIn. Perhaps you could mention in your summary that personal recommendations are available upon request??

> Thanks a lot. If you are both unemployed, I wish you both well with
> your job searches.
>

> Best,
> Gail

Why do you want this page removed?