Fw: [prisondharma-talk] FW: incarcerated military children

-----Original Message-----
From: Nancy Lethcoe [http://profiles.yahoo.com/nlethcoe]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 10:28 AM
To: http://www.indra.com/~pdn
Subject: incarcerated military children

Kate,
I have noticed that among my little group of 25 inmates that about 25% or
higher are children of career military families. I have checked government
statistics and found that this is not something that has been studied.
Although there is a clear conncection between poverty and future
incarceration.

It would be terrible if a parent serves in the military to create a better
life for his/her children only to have those children at greater risk of
future incarceration because of absentee parenting, frequent moves, low
military salaries, discrimination at schools, stress about parent's possibly
dying, etc.

It might be interesting to do an informal survey of Buddhist penpals to see
if there is a possible connection between the stresses of a military
childhood and future incarceration.

If there is, Perhaps we can interest a graduate student or intern in
pursuing the topic further.Or, perhaps we can interest an organization or
legislators in pursuing  more funding for helping these children and for
paying for the true costs of our military.

Why do you want this page removed?