Preserve Community Access to the Internet

Your message was sent to the following recipients:
Your U.S. Representative

As your constituent, I'm writing to ask that you oppose H.R. 2726, the
so-called "Preserving Innovation in Telecom Act."  In contrast to its name,
this bill would actually prevent local communities from providing broadband
services to their citizens.

Given the FCC's actions yesterday which rescinds the Common Carrier precendent
which stopped the monopolies of the phone companies, broadband access is in
trouble like never before.  Towns that don't have affordable broadband access
will lose jobs.  Their children will face a serious disadvantage in college or
in the work force.  And worse of all, H.R. 2726 will ultimately stifle speech
due to the phone companies ability to censor content.

Municipalities across the country have invested public money in convention
centers, health clinics, and community colleges -- not to make money, but to
bring business opportunities, health care, and education to their citizens.
They should have the same opportunity to offer public broadband access.

In the past five years, the United States has fallen from an international
leader in broadband to 13th among industrialized nations. Many of the countries
that are now ahead of us -- Canada, Japan, Korea -- have used municipal systems
as one important element in their broadband strategy. As a nation, we cannot
afford to cut off any successful strategy if we want to remain internationally
competitive.

Congress should not stand in the way of local governments serving the needs of
local citizens.

Sincerely,

Robert
Mr. Robert