Google

Buy A Cody's Gift Card!
Placeholder
Join Our Affiliate Program
Placeholder
We Use Pedal Express!
Placeholder
HarperCollins Author Tracker
Home Bestsellers Events Search Shopping Basket My Account Logout

Cody's April 2005 Events Calendar

Our events are primarily free of charge, although Poetry at Cody's requests a $2 donation. If a particular program requires tickets or reservations, or if a donation is suggested for a particular group, that information will be listed here. Seating is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Partially validated parking with minimum purchase is available at the Sather Gate Garage (Telegraph at Channing), and at Spenger's lot on Fourth Street. If you are unable to attend an event but would like to reserve an autographed copy, you may do so by calling either store. Please note both time and location for all our events - and be sure to telephone to check what time seating will be available.

Last Month

Visit The Archive

Read This Calendar in PDF Format

Sunday, April 24

  TARIQ ALI
returns with two new books, SPEAKING OF EMPIRE AND RESISTANCE: Conversations with Tariq Ali (with David Barsamian). Radical icon, public intellectual and charismatic polemicist Tariq Ali remembers his formative decade in a new edition of Street-Fighting Years. His journey takes readers from his childhood home in Lahore, Pakistan to his arrival in Great Britain in 1963, where he became a fixture in the emergent New Left. The legendary leftwing newspaper The Black Dwarf, opposition to the Vietnam War and Britain's Labour Party, alluring figures like Malcolm X, Marlon Brando, Bertrand Russell, Jean-Paul Sartre, Stokely Carmichael, Simone de Beauvoir - all are here, plus Power to the People!, the interview Ali conducted with John Lennon and Yoko Ono, along with a substantial new introduction shedding light on his continued political life, close affiliations, and work in film and television. In Speaking of Empire and Resistance, Ali's prescient observations turn a sharp eye on the American and British invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. He addresses the development of resistance movements within and outside the US and makes a passionate plea for political engagement across the world. 7:30 PM at First Congregational Church of , Large Assembly (2345 Channing Way).

MAKE IT AN EVENING
If you're planning an evening with us
and a visiting writer, may we suggest dinner, before or after?

On Telegraph Avenue, we recommend:
UNICORN, 2533 Telegraph near Dwight (510-841-8098) and
ZAX TAVERN, 2826 Telegraph near Ashby (510-848-9299).

On Fourth Street, we recommend:
CAFÉ ROUGE, 1782 Fourth Street (510-525-1440) and
ECCOLO, 1820 Fourth Street (510-644-0444).

POETRY AT CODY'S THIS MONTH
7:30 PM At Telegraph Avenue
A $2 Donation is Requested

Sunday, April 3

SOPHIE CABOT BLACK
DAVID BRESKIN

Sunday, April 10

ALAN WILLIAMSON
JEANNE FOSTER

Sunday, April 17

LORNA DEE CERVANTES
OPAL PALMER ADISA

Sunday, April 24

GILLIAN CONOLEY
JANE MILLER

Saturday, April 30

ALBERT FLYNN DESILVER
CHRIS STROFFOLINO

If you'd like to subscribe to our newsletter in printed or in electronic format, just send your name and snailmail or email address to the Events Coordinator or drop it off at the Information Desk at either store.

Our Fourth Street store presents preschool storytime every Saturday at 10:30 AM! All events are wheelchair accessible. An ASL interpreter may be requested for any event by calling 510.845.0837 or emailing us.

Cody's Telegraph Avenue is open 10 - 10 seven days a week. 510.845.7852
Cody's Fourth Street is open 10 - 7, Sunday through Wednesday; 10 - 8, Thursday through Saturday. 510.559.9500; 800.479.7744 within Ca 800.995.1180 US outside Ca

If you are unable to attend an event, you may reserve signed copies by calling or e-mailing the store where the event will take place. We're happy to ship your order.

Top

JPEG image

Why do you want this page removed?