Fw: You're invited to Ancient Art Council Lecture at the Legion of Honor

Any interest?
--- Begin Message ---
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 12:25:33 -0400

------=_Part_9637698_1564780982.13475533174

------=_Part_9637699_1189223312.13475533174

New Meetup

Ancient Art Council Lecture at the Legion of Honor

Bay Area Museum Meetup Group

Added by Natalie Gramont

When:
Saturday, September 29, 2012
1:45 PM

Where:
Legion of Honor Museum
100 34th Ave
San Francisco, CA 94121

Will you attend?

Yes
http://www.meetup.com/museum-113/events/75963482/t/ea1.2_lnm/?response=3D3&=
fromEmail=3D75963482&action=3Drsvp&rv=3Dea1.2&refund_policy=3Dtrue

No
http://www.meetup.com/museum-113/events/75963482/t/ea1.2_lnm/?response=3D2&=
action=3Drsvp&rv=3Dea1.2&refund_policy=3Dtrue

Event details:
The Ancient Art Council is dedicated to supporting Ancient Art at the Fine =
Arts Museums of San Francisco.
For all those who share an interest in ancient art and the preservation and=
 promotion of antiquities and culture of the ancient Mediterranean and Near=
 East, the Ancient Art Council offers lectures by noted archaeologists, cur=
ators, and historians; exclusive tours of the permanent collection and spec=
ial exhibitions; travel to other museums and ancient sites; receptions and =
opportunities to meet fellow enthusiasts of ancient art.
The Women of Mari: Queens, Wives, Brides, and Daughters in 18th-Century BC =
Mesopotamia.
Date and Time: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 2pm

 Location: Florence Gould Theater, which is on the lower level of the museu=
m.

 I'll be there at 1:45 waiting for you at near the entrance doors, on the f=
ar end of the square just near the glass pyramid.
Presented by: Dr. Jack Sasson, Mary Jane Werthan Professor of Jewish Studie=
s and Hebrew Bible, Divinity School and Graduate Department of Religion, Va=
nderbilt University
King Zimri-Lim ruled from Mari (on the Euphrates roughly where Syria meets =
Iraq) around 1760 BCE, just about the time his ally, Hammurabi of Babylon, =
was preparing his famous Code of Law. The archives Zimri-Lim left behind co=
nsist of 15,000 cuneiform tablets, including very personal letters exchange=
d among the king's immediate family, many of whom were women. With them, we=
 may observe how women created influential places for themselves in a world=
 otherwise dominated by men.
Cost: Free / AAC members; suggested donations of $5 / non-AAC members.=C2=
=A0You must, however, pay the $10 admission to the museum, unless FAMSF mem=
ber.
There is also a $3 charge (payable by PayPal) to RSVP for this outing of th=
e Bay Area Museum Meetup. The fee helps cover=C2=A0subscription and other c=
osts of running the group. There will be a limit of 6 members.
The lectures are usually about an hour long, we can meet after, say around =
3:15, to visit their Ancient Art galleries, and perhaps the Olympic Games e=
xhibit if we feel up for it. We can then meet in the Legion of Honor Caf=C3=
=A9 around 4:15pm to relax and discuss what we've seen and heard!
I'll be happy to give my number to RSVP-ers in case we can't find each othe=
r or if you'd like to carpool!
http://www.ancientartcouncil.org/ancient-art-council.htm
=C2=A0

--=20
Add http://www.meetup.com/~info to your address book to receive all Meetup emails

To manage your email settings, go to: http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/
Meetup, box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668

Meetup HQ in NYC is hiring!  http://www.meetup.com/jobs/

------=_Part_9637698_1564780982.13475533174--

--- End Message ---

Why do you want this page removed?