Re: Bond investment

 > From: "http://www.juno.com/~w1few"; <http://www.juno.com/~w1few>
 > Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 21:15:00 GMT
 >
 > I will check on the tax situation.
 >
 > The Lamsons are having a problem with slow Windows 7 updates - they just keep
 > cycling with the little dots counting but never stopping.  I tried a restore
 > from awhile back.  They have a Linux partition on the same drive.

The problem with Windows is that it's virtually impossible to troubleshoot
low-level problems, such as updates or booting.  If the disk drive ever
filled up, that could be an explanation, but it's hard to tell.

What I did when I was at MS was create at least 2 partitions: one with the
Windows 7 installation and another one for holding the home directory and
personal data.  Then, when Win7 screws up (which never happened to me, but
I was expecting it), you just reinstall it on the first partition.  [I
remember reading about ways to remap the user home directory on Windows.
If you do that, you may also be able to keep most of your settings, but
probably not those involving the registry or installed programs.  (I
always made it a point to keep the downloaded install packages so I could
reinstall if necessary and, in general, I steered away from any packages
which use the registry (e.g., Cygwin programs).)]

My inclinations, of course, would be just use Linux.
https://www.google.com/search?q=linux%20equivalents%20windows%20programs
has some software equivalents.  Most software, such as Libreoffice, are
completely (as far as I can tell) compatible with the Windows equivalents.

I highly recommend Linux Mint Gnome edition, if do go that way.  (Chris
has it installed on his netbook.  I think it's working for him.)

 > I am going
 > to send them a drive and windows 7 Prof. to install on a new drive then add the
 > old drive in.  The old drive has Home premium on it.

You need to watch out that you don't install the same Windows DVD install
disc on too many computers.  At some point, you max out and you won't get
updates on the latest machines.