chole masala

This recipe was shared with me and the teachers in the YES Yoga teacher
training by Wendy Chellew. Thanks Wendy, I love your cooking!

2 Cups cooked garbanzos or 2 cans garbanzos (I use dry garbanzos, soak
them and then cook in pressure cooker the day before)

1/4 cup olive oil   -  2 tablespoons fresh chopped ginger  -  2 teaspoons
black mustard seed
1 1/2 tomatoes  -  3/4 of a medium sized onion  -  A few handfuls of fresh
chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon garam masala  -  1 o 2 teaspoons chili powder - Salt -  Sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice - 1 cup water -  Optional chopped serano
pepper (1/2 small pepper)

Pour olive oil into large pot on medium high heat. Immediately add mustard
seed and place lid on pot. When mustard seeds start to pop, immediately
turn heat down to low. Throw in ginger and beans and stir until ginger is
. Add water, chili powder and salt (for chili powder, amount depends
on how spicy you want it, you can start with 1 teaspoon and add more
later, experiment with quantity. For salt, don't add too much, you can
always add more later).

Turn heat back up to medium high until mixture is boiling.Simmer on medium
heat for 10 minutes Then add chopped tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, chopped
onion (optional), chopped cilantro and chopped serano pepper (optional and
will make it very spicy). Also add lemon juice, garam masala (can get at
an Indian store), and sugar to taste Sugar, salt & lemon juice will add a
balanced flavor. Then taste it and see what it needs more of for you. Add
more salt, chili powder, lemon and sugar as needed. Sugar will counteract
the spiciness if it is too spicy. Lemon acts like salt & will make it seem
more salty, so don't add too much of both salt & lemon. Stir, cook on low
for 10 more minutes and serve. Enjoy!

Why do you want this page removed?