Dwight Hawthorne, 1959-2008: Memorial Service and Memory Book

Dear ProSearch Alumni,

I am writing you as a ProSearch alumni (’98) with some very sad news. Dwight Hawthorne, ProSearch Director from 1993-2005, has passed away after a long illness.

If your experience of ProSearch was anything like mine, you probably recall him as a Director Extrordinare, the amazing glue of continuity holding an impossible organization together, inspiring each of us to high standards of professionalism and collaboration, the man who “kept all the plates spinning” as he liked to say.

Dwight’s mother found a ProSearch directory data disc among his personal papers, and his friends and family have asked me to forward the following memory book and memorial service information to you. Being aware that the data on the disc is confidential, it will not be used again after the sending of this e-mail.

Dwight leaves behind a 12 year old son, Avery, and it is the family’s hope that some of us who knew him at his professional finest can pass on some stories and memories that will help Avery to know this side of his father in the years to come. The memorial information speaks of Aidan (Dwight) Hawthorne. Aidan is the name he preferred to be called in his final years.

With heavy heart and fond memories, both of Dwight, and my ProSearch compatriots,

David Finacom

Letter requesting memories of Dwight Hawthorne for a memorial book for his son

Dear Ones,

As many of you are aware, Aidan (Dwight) Hawthorne passed away on November 19. A church announcement about his memorial service is below:

Service of Memorial

Honoring the Life of Dwight Aidan Hawthorne Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:00 PM First Unitarian Church of Oakland, Hamilton Hall

Please join the family and friends of church member Aidan Hawthorne as we mourn his death and celebrate his life. A reception in Wendte Hall will follow the service. All are welcome.

I’m writing to ask if you would be willing to write something for a book I’m putting together for Aidan’s son, Avery, to be presented during the memorial service for Aidan. Avery’s mother, Jackie, asked me if I would coordinate this effort, and I am so happy to be able to do so, as Avery is my “first son,” a child I have adored and “practiced parenting” on since he was a toddler.

Any story about Aidan, or special memory of a time you spent with him, or any words of wisdom or comfort you’d like to share with Avery are all perfect entries for this book. If you choose to contribute, you can send your entry to me via email (http://www.sbcglobal.net/~pkhand) or snail mail (Kate Hand, 2804 Grant Street, 94703). If you choose snail mail, please write your entry on one side of a piece of paper no larger than 8 ½ X 11” so it can be entered in the book and read easily without having to be removed for reading. If you choose email, feel free to send it as an attachment. That way you can choose the font and layout. I will then print it up on quality parchment. Writing materials will also be available at the memorial service, but I’d love to collect as many entries as possible before then, so that the book can be mostly assembled and presented during the service.

On behalf of Jackie and Avery, thank you so much for considering this request. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Kate Hand

Why do you want this page removed?