problems with wireless on Ubuntu

One problem may be the WEP key.  This site

http://ccsd.msoe.edu/faq/linux/Ubuntu.jsp?IDFaq=223

says that you need to put a '-' (dash) after every 4 characters in the WEP
key.  You might try that.

It's also possible that you need to prefix the WEP key with the word
"restricted".  See

http://choosing-a-blog-url-sucks.blogspot.com/2006/11/howto-configure-ubuntu-t!

for example.

I cannot find any further info about problems.

Re: editing files.  Unfortunately, I doubt that "jove" is installed on
Ubuntu by default.  (You'd probably need a network to get it, ironically.)
If you know "vi", you could try editing your /etc/network/interfaces file
and making sure the values are peachy.

If you have a PCMCIA card with wired network support, that may be easier
to set up.  A USB-to-ethernet adapter may also work -- I don't know.

Also, I was reading that someone had to reboot (just like Windows!) after
changing the network parameters.  You may also try that as well.

Why do you want this page removed?