Re: U2, Peace, etc. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:51:33 -0800
From: Steven Streufert <http://www.hvcs.net/~streufert>
To: http://dummy.us.eu.org/noelleg
Subject: Re: U2, Peace, etc.

 Noelle,

Got your card--thanks. Nice U2 art. I saw U2 twice (you saw them before, didn't you?). The War tour was extraordinary, the Joshua Tree less so, due to the higher level of "normal" dude types present. I nearly got to see them open for the J. Geils Band in SB on the October tour, but they cancelled out two nights before, stating they'd never open for another band again. Their shows are interesting, as the band is great, but not superlative in talent; rather, they have an ability to inspire, and the effect on large crowds in response to their music and message creates an amazing example of what could happen in the world if we'd just all get on the same, the right, mindset. "I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me," as they said, long ago. By changing that world, en masse especially, the larger world would be greatly altered, for the better. U2 was easily the best big concert experience I ever had, better than the Grateful Dead; though that wouldn't really count small punk shows, which are kinda in their own category.

Sadly, yes, we are living under corporate fascism. No doubt. Read PNAC (http://www.raytal.com
should have it on the first page). It is a plan for global empire hatched before G.W. even got himself put into the office. I say it is a "conspiracy" in the largest sense. To these guys power and profit are what matter, and they are perfectly willing to manipulate and torture the world, even to war, if it furthers their interests. I mean, talk about conflict of interest! Halliburton, Carlyle Group, Wolfowitz heading the World Bank, and on and on....

I wouldn't put it past them to have colluded with the terrorists the CIA and FBI knew full well about in letting 9-11 go down. I mean, there is just to much fishy evidence stinking up the place. Something happened. Read "Crossing the Rubicon," by Michael Ruppert. It's a level-headed analysis of the motives of Neo-Con-ism, and events behind 9-11 and the "War" on "Terror."

Think about this: they win, even if there is a civil war and our military loses over in Iraq. They have their foot in the door, are building permanent bases and a huge embassy, they can threaten Syria and Iran more effectively, and they can monitor oil for the highest return. Not to mention---their oil buddies make huge profits by NOT having oil coming from Iraq. It just boosts the market value of the oil they already have. It may even be more profitable. Think of the record-breaking profits of the petro. co. people since this war started. You'd think it would be the other way around. Nope. It's all speculation, stock market stuff. Think of the put options on airlines that were noted just before the 9-11 attacks. More than coincidence, obviously; someone knew it was going to happen.

Also, Bushes are more an arms contracting, policy-driven business than oil, per se. The Carlyle investment group loves war, and oil is just the gravy on the meal. Peace just isn't as profitable for this type of people. That's why we need a Gore type leader, someone like Clinton who can at least try to make peace and progress and human potential a going concern.

I could go on, but there's work to do here. Keep in touch, OK?

see ya,

--Steve
***********************
Steven Streufert, Bookseller