U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein responding to your message

December 13, 2005

Mr. Robert

where-I-live

Dear Mr.:

	Thank you for writing to me about the proposed increases to H-
1B visas.  I welcome the opportunity to respond.

	I too am deeply concerned about the H-1B program, and in
particular the pressures to increase the annual cap.  I think there needs to
be further study of whether there is in fact a shortage of American
workers to fill these jobs, and I have called for a hearing on the matter in
the Senate Judiciary Committee.

       I take very seriously any allegation that American workers are
being discriminated against, or that foreign-born workers are being given
preferential treatment.  I do not support replacing American workers with
foreign-born workers, especially if these workers are paid lower wages
and receive lesser benefits.  Ultimately, I believe we should seek to
educate and train American workers to go into professional fields
involving science, math and engineering.  And that's what I've pushed
for in the Senate.

       Again, thank you for writing.  I hope that you will continue to
write to me on issues of importance to you.  Best regards.

			Sincerely yours,

			Dianne Feinstein
			United States Senator

http://feinstein.senate.gov

Further information about my position on issues of concern to Ca and
the Nation are available at my website
http://feinstein.senate.gov.  You can also receive electronic e-mail updates by
subscribing to my e-mail list at
http://feinstein.senate.gov/issue.html.