Re: question for Allen

In a message dated 7/9/2005 1:11:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
http://dummy.us.eu.org/robert writes:

> We can talk about this when you come to the Bay Area, but I'll plant the
> seed.
>
> Is it legal for a company to prohibit its employees from consuming a
> particular food product?  In this case, it's hemp.

Robert,

The law I was telling you about during lunch is Section 96(k) of the
Ca Labor Code which gives the Ca Labor Commissioner authority
over:

"Claims for loss of wages as the result of demotion, suspension, or
discharge from employment for lawful conduct occurring during nonworking
hours away from the employer's premises."

You can find the actual text of the law somewhere in the middle of the page
at this address:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/lab/79-107.html

There are two good articles specifically about that section of the Ca
Labor Code at these two addresses:

http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Dec/1/128727.html

http://www.thelenreid.com/articles/report/rep63_idx.htm

There's a general paper about lifestyle discrimination in employment by a UC
 law professor at this address:

http://www.law..edu/faculty/sugarmans/lifestyle%20062602.doc

And, finally, the ACLU's legislative briefing kit on lifestyle discrimination
in the workplace is available at:

http://www.aclu.org/WorkplaceRights/WorkplaceRights.cfm?ID=9080&c=34

Hope that helps

Allen